This project has to be full dynamic website and therefore decision on whether to build own CMS or use already built CMS needs to be answered.
This is PHP framework that helps you to build solid CMS. It was recommended by older students as a great and easy to learn framework. I already started to have a look at it in semester 1 but I had to stop because of lack of time for projects. There are supporting materials at laracast.com which will help with learning of this framework.
This is free responsive (already built) CMS that I would like to try and see if it works or not and if it can be implemented into this project. To view this site, please click here.
Have a look at doorGets CMS and try to make it work.
Looking at other different frameworks such as Titon Toolkit
Out of these four different frameworks, every single one was tested on the server, was the best suitable for this project Foundation. Another thing that assured me that this framework is the best for this project is that it is supported by Internet Explorer 9, 10, 11 (as seen on the picture below). This is great as Hull City Council uses Internet Explorer for browsing internet.
Therefore Foundation framework will be used to build this project from front end part.
AngularJS works with Bootstrap and this is what got me very interested as I like working with Bootstrap.
Why not to use AngularJS for this project
- Not enough of time to learn it well enough to build full website in it – other projects going
- Task – learn it during the summer holiday!
This project needs to be up to date and that is the reason why research about what is ‘trendy’ and ‘worth’ to learn in 2015 was done.
Research was done on several websites and all of them supplied nearly the same information.
- These are languages that are worth of learning in 2015.
- These are frameworks that are worth of learning in 2015.
(Pictures downloaded from this article – click here to view)
Deeper research needs to be to find out what is the best framework to use.
First things that needs to be done
- Find out what frameworks are going to be used for this project – learn them
- What CMS is going to be used – build own CMS or use what is already out there
- Making time management plan for the project
For this project, current Hull Ice Arena website will be completely re-designed and modernized.
The reasons why
1) It is not FULL website, it is ONLY part of Hull City Council website
2) The design is very poor
3) No interaction with users
4) No user experience
5) Other ice arenas worldwide have their own websites! – not part of different website
Here is the link to the current Hull Ice Arena