To be able to work with Node.js, you must be type command line instructions therefore you must be comfortable with using command prompt, git shell etc.
If you are not comfortable with this, don’t worry just give it a go, everybody must start somewhere! I’ll walk you through simple installation process and if you would like to learn more, just follow my blog for more posts.
Download and install
- Download node.js
- Run the installer (the file you just downloaded)
- Follow the instructions (Accept the license agreement, click the NEXT button a few times and accept the default installation settings).
- This is the success message –
- Once it’s installed, you should get this folder structure in Start –
- After installation, you have to restart computer to be able to use Node.js
To check if node.js is really working, open Node.js command prompt by clicking on the icon –
There is also message at the top of the command prompt saying ‘Your environment has been set up for using Node.js 6.11.0 (x64) and npm.’ proving that we installed everything successfully.
To check if NPM is installed, type
This should give you installed version of NPM such as 3.10.10 in my case –
Uninstalling Node.js and NPM
To uninstall Node.js and NPM –
- Open the Windows Control Panel
- Click the “Uninstall a program” option in “Programs”
- Select Node.js, and click the Uninstall link.
Download and install NPM package
Visit www.npmjs.com and find the package you would like to install by typing it to search bar on the top of the website –
Once you choose package you’d like to install, follow the instructions on the page.
(I’ll be using gulp-sass-themes package)
On the page, there are instructions what to do next – type
npm install gulp-sass-themes gulp-sass --save-dev
and press enter. Installation is in the process and all you have to do is wait for the installation to finish.
Once it’s done, you don’t need to do anything as it’s all installed for you.
When installation is running, NPM creates a folder named “node_modules”, where the package will be placed. All installed packages will be placed in this folder.
The project has a folder structure like this: